Bradley Molnar on Thu, 10 Jan 2002 08:40:19 +0100

RE: [PLUG] Linux, Netware, and an NT Domain

>Authenticating to a Win domain is supposed to work, I believe, using
>SAMBA (somehow).

To authenticate to a domain when printing, you will need to provide the
spooler with a username and password.  If the machine is NT4, you _should_
only need a username and password, if the machine is Win2K (is XP server
even out yet?) it probably runs Active Directory.  To authenticate to this,
you will need to provide a username in the form of DOMAIN\username and same
password.  I do not believe that there is a way to authenticate to a domain
and stay logged in through samba.  This is why the print spooler needs the
username and password (it will pass it to the domain controller each time).
You will also need to set it up with the machine and printer name you wish
to print to, I believe.

--Disclaimer, I have never actually tried this.  I know that you can access
and mount shares on a Win2K controlled domain using the authentication
method used above, printing is above my abilities.

-brad