multiple seriousity on Fri, 18 Jan 2002 16:14:01 -0500

Re: [PLUG] monitor energy use

> 2 weeks, your TV is sitting there the whole time drawing a little tiny
>bit of power the whole time so that when you finally do turn it on you
>can start watching it in 7 seconds instead of 22... so switched off
>should be between 0 and 8 Watts. Unplugged or on another switch, 0. You
>can see this if you look out of the corner of your eye in the _dark_ at a
>TV which has been off for a while - there is a very faint glow there.

Well, I don't think this is quite right.  A lot of tvs... will still glow,
a little bit a while after you turn them off... depending. I see it on my
tvs which I turn off via external switches, unplug, etc.  This probably
has something to do with the phosphors, and the fact that a tv or monitor
has a large capacitance capacity (in other words, it stores
electricity like a capacitor.) this is why you seriously shouldn't poke
around inside a television/try to fix one unless you know what you are
doing.. you can get a serious arc burn from the stored electricity, and
tv's can hold charges quite a LONG time after they are last plugged in.

Also, another reason for tv's and other devices to draw power when sitting
there, is to be responsive to remote controls..

--
msimons@slackware.com INFORMATION*MEDIA*PHOTOGRAPHY msimonsmail@yahoo.com
Creative Artists Resource Project: www.slackware.com/~msimons/arts/reuse/