multiple seriousity on Fri, 18 Jan 2002 21:50:18 +0100

Re: [PLUG] debian-netbsd

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002 news@kippona.com wrote:
> Has anyone played with debian-netbsd?  It's located at:
> and seems interesting.  This could be a great solution for people
> migrating sparc machines from linux to *bsd.  It doesn't seem
> like there are enough resources to keep linux ported to sparc.

Well, if the question is if people want to run BSD on Sparc machines,
there is NetBSD itself.. and OpenBSD.. it's not like Linux and BSD are so
different that someone familiar with Linux wouldn't be able to pick up on
BSD.  This efforet, well, as it states is very early.. and wouldn't be for
someone who wanted to 'migrate' a machine for long-term use.  Personally,
I just don't get it.. other than being "yet another project to fiddle
around on."

And if there isn't enough resources to keep Linux ported to Sparc, then I
would seriously doubt porting all of Debian GNU userland to the NetBSD
kernel to be a successful ongoing effort.  If you want debian, then you've
got Debian-sparc and debian sparc64, if these dont have enough effort
behind them..

And of course you've also got lots of other distros and efforts which
support sparc.. if I were to list them all... well, hmm.. it would
probably take a long time..

To start, there is the distribution list at ultralinux.org
http://www.ultralinux.org/dists.html

It covers the major distros, at least, and I'm sure there are plenty of
other efforts out there.

I guess that's it for now.
--
msimons@slackware.com INFORMATION*MEDIA*PHOTOGRAPHY msimonsmail@yahoo.com