Michael Leone on Fri, 25 Jan 2002 00:19:27 -0500

Re: xfs (was Re: [PLUG] Debian and X)

On Fri, 2002-01-25 at 00:09, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 11:38:28PM -0500, kevin mudrick wrote:
> > Anyway, why is xfs a security risk, as someone mentioned?  Or did I miss
> > the part of the thread where that was discussed?
>
> I said that, and it may no longer be true in XF86-4, but xfs
> definitely does still open an unnecessary (unless you're actually
> running a server for other machines, which almost no one does these
> days) TCP port

port 7000? 7001? Something like that.

>, I've definitely seen it running as root (though I
> don't know that any of the Linux distributions in question install
> it that way),

Mandrake 8.1

ps ax
 2776 ?        S      0:21 xfs -port -1 -daemon -droppriv -user xfs

Michael J. Leone                  Registered Linux user #201348
<mailto:turgon@mike-leone.com>    ICQ: 50453890     AIM: MikeLeone

PGP public key:
<http://www.mike-leone.com/~turgon/turgon-public-key.gpg>

"Sometimes your lack of sympathy gets hard to explain,
 So on your mask of make-up you just paint a little parody of pain"
                                 "When you were young", Del Amitri