gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 25 Jan 2002 00:33:39 -0500

Re: xfs (was Re: [PLUG] Debian and X)

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 12:15:11AM -0500, Michael Leone wrote:
> port 7000? 7001? Something like that.

7001, I think.

> Mandrake 8.1
>
> ps ax
>  2776 ?        S      0:21 xfs -port -1 -daemon -droppriv -user xfs

Hrm. So it's started as root and switches to xfs. (I trust adding
a u flag to ps does show it running as xfs not root.) Have you
looked at it's setuid(2) usage to make sure it's actually doing the
right thing? (Yes, I have done this with daemons I trust, BIND 9 and
Postfix. Hint: they should actually be using seteuid(2) or, even
better, setreuid(2).) Setting the port to -1 is a nice kludge
(similar to telling BIND 9's rndc to communicate with the IP address
0.0.0.0, which tells it to *actually* use Unix Domain Sockets rather
than TCP... this is better than pointing at 127.0.0.1 because it
prevents local processes from getting in the way).

The fact that they're being conscious is good, but it doesn't mean
that they've necessarily done everything right. It's probably still
a good idea to run it in a chroot(8) environment. (Yes, I do this
with both Postfix and BIND.) I still say it shouldn't be necessary
to run xfs at all on a single console machine, though.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net