Bill Jonas on Thu, 31 Jan 2002 00:06:24 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Full Partion

On Wed, Jan 30, 2002 at 11:57:13PM -0500, Naresh Reddy wrote:
> Well,  I will not use the /opt method. What is the best way to tar these
> files (to preserve the permissions), and then copy the tared file
> somewhere temporary, ,and combine the partions and then untar the file
> into the new combined partion.

As root, "tar -cpf filename.tar /path/to/files/to/save".  Then scp
filename.tar off somewhere (you might gzip it first, or even add a z
("tar -cpzf") to the options (make it file.tar.gz if you do, just so you
can keep track of it).  Do what you need to do, retrieve the file, cd to
the directory you were when you tarred it (or to / if you used an
absolute path), and run (again as root) "tar -xpf filename.tar" (or "tar
-xzpf filename.tar.gz" if you compressed it).

As for the partition question, it's a little tricky to combine them
because hda4 is a primary partition, and hda7 (which you intend to nuke)
is in the extended partition.

I noticed that hda4 wasn't included in your df output.  Could you send
the output of "fdisk -l /dev/hda"?

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html