Mike Leone on Mon, 4 Feb 2002 16:50:20 +0100

Re: [PLUG] XFS w/kernel 2.4.17?

>Have you tried applying the patch?

No, because I thought I'd ask advice from others who may have already done it, before doing something as potentially drastic as patching the kernel.

>DevFS seems like it might touch the same files, but patch(1) with
>a sufficient fuzz factor (-F) should probably work.

>(If not, back out DevFS, do XFS first, then see if DevFS can fuzz
>its way in.)

>Fwiw, this kind of thing is much easier if you just have a CVS
>branch rather than an outside set of patches...

I ended up using the latest CVS code, instead of the latest released patch; patching the kernel; creating a new partition with cfdisk (as type 83, "Linux"), and then did a "mkfs -t xfs". Seemed to work. And I am using DevFS, so it seems to have no problems.

Patching was a simple "patch -p1 <patch-name" after changing to "/usr/src/linux", and then activating XFS in "make xconfig". I was a bit leary of using CVS code as a kernel patch, which may not possibly be as stable as an officially released version, but I decided to live semi-dangerously.

Haven't noticed any great difference yet from the ReiserFS I'm using on all my other directories, but who knows.