gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 4 Feb 2002 10:58:53 -0500

Re: [PLUG] XFS w/kernel 2.4.17?

[It'd be nice if you could wrap your text around column 75 so that
those of us on standard 80 column terminals can read and reply to it
easily. I've reformatted the quotes in this reply.]

On Mon, Feb 04, 2002 at 10:48:11AM -0500, Mike Leone wrote:
> No, because I thought I'd ask advice from others who may have
> already done it, before doing something as potentially drastic as
> patching the kernel.

Changing a bunch of text files that you can easily get back from a
central server is drastic?

> I ended up using the latest CVS code, instead of the latest
> released patch; patching the kernel; creating a new partition with
> cfdisk (as type 83, "Linux"), and then did a "mkfs -t xfs". Seemed
> to work. And I am using DevFS, so it seems to have no problems.

Cool.

> Haven't noticed any great difference yet from the ReiserFS I'm
> using on all my other directories, but who knows.

Did you ever notice a difference between ReiserFS and ext{2,3}? I
find that, for most day-to-day uses, FS performance isn't all that
noticeable. (When you're, say, untar'ing or rm'ing a full source tree,
you're more likely to see the difference.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net