gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 8 Feb 2002 18:30:23 +0100

Re: [PLUG] DSL Connection Speeds

On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 11:26:57PM -0500, Doug Crompton wrote:
> Ok.. So the Web DSL test sites tell me my line will not work. Where do I
> begin to see if that is the final answer? Certainly not Verizon. Will
> anyone "try it" to see??

Sure, whoever you ask to install it. Check carefully to make sure,
but I'd be really surprised if DCAnet or Speakeasy charged you
anything at all if it turned out they couldn't provide you service.
(They may well try to talk you into a dialup, but you can clearly
tell them to piss off.)

> I see this "DSL" as an incredible marketing mess
> that COULD be very competitive to cable, but now with many cables going
> fiber they will steal the whole package from the phone company. Many cable
> companies are already offering digital phone services. What a shame. I
> loath Comcast.

Well, I wouldn't touch Comcast with a ten foot length of CAT5E.
There are far too many stupid users sitting on my doorstep waiting
to have their machines compromised.

As near as I can tell, DSL's main users are sysadmins and gamers.
Neither of those groups will stand for latency (remember, latency
has the same relation to ping time that an integral does to a
point), and are willing to pay a little more for the same amount
of bandwidth if they're assured it's not shared bandwidth. For
regular home users, cable probably makes more sense.

As far as Comcast stealing anyone's phone service... they've been
too dumb to pick up on that so far. Around Philly, RCN is who you'd
want to give your money to if you want to get cable TV, cable modem
service, and telephone service from the same people. From all I've
heard, they're quite good. (The "stupid users" almost definitely
still applies.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net