Kuzman Ganchev on Tue, 12 Feb 2002 16:30:22 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Fwd: CG: Windows XP warning

On Mon, Feb 11, 2002 at 08:56:13PM -0500, Jon Galt wrote:
> My original point was to agree with Mike Leone that
> Microsoft was not the primary factor in making the standard PC hardware so
> cheap - IBM's intentional openness with their specs is what did it.  In
> fact, I would say that Microsoft was more of a beneficiary than a cause of
> cheap hardware.

I think that Microsoft's soft de-facto position (I'm not talking about
words here) on software piracy was a part of that. I think that if MS
had cracked down on piracy back in the day, the PC might not have done
so well.

In any case, if they crack down now, I think they would get screwed.
This is more the case in Eastern Europe than in the states but, people
would be willing to make a minor adjustment to save a few hundred
dollars (= more than a month's wages in Bulgaria), that they would not
be willing to make if they can safely pirate software. This is why I
am strongly against pirated software - especially software that I
don't like to use. I think that there should be well known rules to
the game (as opposed to harsh laws that are not enforced as a
general rule).

Kuzman

PS: yeah, I know the choir.