Andrew Puschak on Mon, 18 Feb 2002 10:29:34 -0500

[PLUG] barberooza new to Linux (network)

Hi Paul,

Thanks again for the help. I like the ICS idea. I didn't think of that. I did that before a while ago with dialup. If I need to get the network up immediately I'll do that, but in the mean time I think it would be invaluable to work on linux. Lets see, I have a machine running Redhat 7.2 that i recently installed. I previously ran BSD on it, but it was a little hard for a beginner. On both I have gotten the basic client stuff to work, x-windows, gaim, mozilla, and configuring the desktop (picture of my girlfriend). As far as mail goes, I'm gona stick with hotmail because it's known to people as my address. I'm gona but the web server on hold and work on the network. Ok, so I have a redhat box I want to use as a router. i have this dhcp configured to the internet (its what I'm typing this on). I used internet configuration wizard. is dhcpcd the same only shell based? And what do I do to statically configure? As far as getting more comfortable with running Linux as a client, is there anything else other than reading the manuals (gettting started, etc)? I haveln't registered a domain yet. Can I just use my ip address if I want to do web server later? From the redhat box I'll go to the hub and then to the other Win98se computers (possibly linux in the future). My dad is starting to work at home and uses dial-up with the laptop to access his vpn at work. I'd like to get the laptop on the air with dsl too. Thanks for all your help. Well I've got to take a shower then finish my homework (I have prez. day off) and then I'll get back to the computer! I look forward to learning more and can't wait. Talk to you soon.

Andrew Puschak barberooza@hotmail.com AIM(GAIM) screen-name barberooza