Paul on Mon, 18 Feb 2002 15:40:17 +0100

Re: [PLUG] OS inventory system?

Linux, Apache, PHP4, and MySQL should be all you need.  PHP4
can easily access a database.  A database can store images.
Do a search for PHP4 scripts.

There is a photography studio in Philadelphia which has an
image database.  (Good images can take up a lot of drive
space.)  I'll see if I can find out about it.  (Jerry?)

And if you run LTSP (Linux Terminal Server Project), the
clients wouldn't require any maintenance.  I've run a P166
as a terminal server client and it actually ran better than
having Linux installed locally.  Assuming you have one PC
that has the power to be a Web server and terminal server.
For a tiny network, that shouldn't be a problem.