Beldon Dominello on Mon, 18 Feb 2002 15:30:12 +0100

[PLUG] OS inventory system?

I'm doing volunteer work for a small museum with big dreams.  The Vintage
Radio and Communications Museum of Connecticut has an admirable collection of
antiques and such, and has just bought an 85,000 sq. ft. space to display it
in.

The trouble is they have no computer system.  The inventory that exists was
only done for the purpose of weight calculation (for the move) on an Excel
spreadsheet.  The two computers that we do have are running pirated versions
of Windows and Office.

In an effort to get us into compliance, leverage the hardware we have (nothing
better than a PI-233), and do so legally within our budget I have started a
program to convert at least the network and servers to Linux.

The trouble is, there is a rather old gentleman who has begun the project, who
places his hopes in a proprietary program called Past Perfect
(http://www.museumsoftware.org) which is windows-only, and neither web nor
even client/server capable.  Not to mention expensive.

We are ordering an evaluation copy, at his insistence, to see the
functionality and if we (meaning I) can develop something similar on an
open-source basis.  The functionality I've seen is pretty simple-- an
inventory system with pictures.  Hell I could probably use the Northwind
sample database that comes with Access as a template.  But my question
(finally) is this:  Is there an open-source, web or client/server based
inventory program that anyone knows of?

I haven't checked Sourceforge or Freshmeat yet, because I wanted to get
recommendations from people who have been exposed to the products.  I would
also consider a web-enabled proprietary product.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

	-Beldon
	 http://www.nationalcommunicationsmuseum.org

---
DISCLAIMER - This text was written on the road and may contain errors of fact,
tact, and decency due to the cumulative effects of cabin fever, emotional
displacement, and restaurant food.