Paul on Mon, 18 Feb 2002 11:27:38 -0500

Re: [PLUG] barberooza new to Linux (network)

OK, so you have RH 7.2 running as a DHCP client.  It grabs
its network configuration from the gateway.  You can run it
this way, but a server usually likes to have a static
configuration.  If you want to convert to a static
configuration, run "neat &" from a terminal window in X.
That should show you all of your current network settings.
Write them down.  Then, use neat to enter the settings as
static entries.  Actually, since the entries are already
there, you might be able to switch to "static" and just save
the config.  If you want to stick with DHCP, that's fine,
too (at least for now).

If you send me your IP, preferably in a private e-mail so
you don't invite hackers to join in, I will see what I can
see from the Internet.  If you have Apache running, I will
be able to see the test page.

Since you seem to have the LAN side of things down, you
could either work on firewalling or disable most services
other than Apache to prevent hacking.  I know that many
people would have some negative comments to make if I said
that you should just jump straight into IP masquerading
without a firewall, so I'll just say that it's your choice.
8-)  It only takes a few lines of text to make it happen.

Again, given your IP, I can do a security scan of you server
and send the results to you.  Better me than a hacker.

I have a very simple overview of my former network at
http://chlug.dpagin.net under ICS.html and ics.txt with
links to HOW-TOs.  I was using ipchains when I wrote the
doc.  There is an example of using iptables for a dial-up.
Oh, don't delete that previous e-mail with the long list of
iptables rules.  They will be useful.

Your project is definitely becoming networking adventure, if
that's the right word.