Mike Leone on Wed, 20 Feb 2002 15:10:14 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Compiling perl in CPAN - progress!

>Looks like libc6-dev on a Debian system.

Already have that package.

workhorse:/home/turgon# dpkg --get-selections | grep libc
libc-client2001                                 install
libc6                                           install
libc6-dev                                       install
libcap1                                         install
libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2                          install

>BTW, since it appears you use Debian (from the /etc/alternatives reference above), you can search packages for files at
><http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages> (the second textbox, "Search the contents of packages").

I did a search on that website, and it points to the same package you mention, which apparently I have installed.

> /usr/include/bits/types.h:29: stddef.h: No such file or directory

The "types.h" in /usr/include/bits comes from libc6-dev, which I have installed. But apparently it wants stddef.h, and I don't know from where. So now what?

Also, this seems weird:

workhorse:/usr/include/linux# dpkg --get-selections | grep gcc
workhorse:/usr/include/linux#

I have no gcc package, yet I have a gcc v2.95 compiler.

workhorse:/usr/include/linux# gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i386-linux/2.95.2/specs
gcc version 2.95.2 20000220 (Debian GNU/Linux)

So, would this help, do you think?

workhorse:/usr/include/linux# apt-get install gcc-2.95
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  gcc
  gcc gcc-2.95
0 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6  not upgraded.
Need to get 942kB of archives. After unpacking 2361kB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]