Doug Crompton on Sat, 23 Feb 2002 13:25:18 -0500

Re: [PLUG] picking up radio interference

Sherry,

  I doubt that installation of specific software would have anything to do
with it. RFI (radio frequency interference) is almost always the fault of
the product and not the source. Poor shielding, and lack of RF bypassing
are the general causes. I would suggest using a ferrite filter on the
speaker or any other leads coming from the sound card. RF is getting in to
the card, being rectified (detected) and you hear the resulting audio.
Reducing the amount of RF that enters with shielding with usually
eliminate it. I tis seldom necessary to used frequency specific filters
for this, especially since the desire range, the audio spectrum, is so far
removed from the undesired wavelength.

 I am an amateur radio operator and I use fairly high power on the HF
frequencies. I had a problem with RF getting into my modem and cured it
with a ferrite on the phone and serial leads to it. It is an ecternal
modem. Also tightly wrapping the leads, in a coil, acts as an inductor
(choke) at RF frequncies and often helps. Ferrite cores for filtering
purposes are available at Radio Shack. Try to wrap the wire through the
core numerous times.

 I hope that gives you some things to try.

Doug

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Sherry Nelson wrote:

> My linux box's audio is suddenly picking up 2-way radio interference,
> apparently from a neighbors CB or ham radio. This is something that I
> never experienced from my Windows ME partition on the same computer, so
> I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the same problem. I know that in
> general the problem can be resolved by using a frequency specific
> filter.
> But I'm curious as to why I'd be experiencing the problem only on my
> Linux partition (Linux-Mandrake/30mdk), unless it is a coincidence. I've
> used my Win ME partition extensively (sorry!), but never had this
> problem. Any insights?
>
> thanks,
> Sherry

*  Doug Crompton	   *