Fred K Ollinger on Tue, 26 Feb 2002 11:00:10 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Install from HD (RH 7.2)

> I copied the CONTENTS of the 3 CDs to 3 directories in a DOS
> partition.  The install program won't recognize them.  The scant

I'm not surprised. Why don't you put them on an ext2 (or 3) partition. You
can make these by booting from tom's root boot disk.
This will get you to a point where you can reformat the
partions. And recopy everything.

> CONTENTS of the CDs, I should have copied IMAGES of the CDs as files
> cd1.iso, cd2.iso, etc.  However, I have no idea how to create these image
> files.

You don't need to do this. I copied the contents of the rh cds over the
network using kickstart (ks) from a hard drive. I didn't need to make
images. However, b/c you asked:

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=image_filename.iso

>     * Will it be possible to install from the CD drive using the more
> esoteric drivers (oldcdrom.img - Supplemental CDROM controllers)? If so,
> how do I use these?

I don't know. It will work if there are drivers. I suggest makeing a boot
floppy:

dd if=path_to_boot_fl_image.img of=/dev/fd0

Then you can hack the boot disk. It's pretty self-explanatory. You can
replace this kernel with one known to support the cd if you need to, but I
think you should go hard drive route.

>     * Am I correct in concluding that I need to create CD image files on
> the hard drive?  If so, how do I create these files?

You are not correct. I did w/o this.

>     * Is there a way to install from the hard drive using the CD contents
> rather than images?  How do I do it?

Yes, you can navigate the hard drives in the install when it asks to look
for the install media. It probably failed b/c it didn't have a msdos
driver which is why changing partition type, reformatting, and recopying
should fix things.

The other cool thing about having all the stuff on a hard drive is I can
change install parameters on the hard drive then rerun using old kickstart
cd and I have a better install. For example, we have many customizations
in /etc so if I need to change one for all the clients, I can change it in
my ks.cfg file so next time I reinstall, the changes will be kept. Also,
new packages can go in your RedHat/RPMS dir, but you need to regenerate
the database file. You can learn about this in the red hat howto at
linuxdoc.org.

Fred