pinkee on Mon, 18 Mar 2002 15:20:12 +0100

Re: [PLUG] DSL pricing

On Sat, Mar 16, 2002 at 02:42:34AM -0500, Doug Crompton wrote:
> I had one repsonse from an IDSL user. Anyone else on here have IDSL? How
> about RADSL??
>
> Anyone have any DSL beyond 18K feet?
>
> In my research at google it appears that IDSL can go to 10 miles on 26ga
> with two repeaters. That is 144/144K data rate. It also appears that while
> the independents are willing to give a try to any line local telco's
> (Verizon) are setting limits.

I have aDSL, but I also have s0ome back ground in telephony, so maybe i
can at lest help explain. The mini-bells are under a ton of scrutiny,
and Verizon in particular is _very_ eager to get into the long distance
part of the market, because that is all they are missing to be the all
in one provider all the companies would like to be. The prior
applications for Verizon to be allowed into the long-distance market
have been turned down based primarily on their history of inadequate
customer response. They are going to play it safe and not roll out any
new technology (including powered lines through repeaters for dsl) until
they get their golden egg. The odds of verizon getting in the next 5
years went down the tubes with the strike and the resulting backlog.

The clec's have everything to gain by trying out powered lines and
running them through as many repeaters as they want. In theory,
this technology would bring dsl and better telephony in general to a
previously underserved market: rural. This is being tested in Canada now,
and I expect it to come to the states soon. I don't know where it is
at in the testing phases right now, but you might want to take a peak
at http://internettelephony.com. It has ads out the wazoo but easily
digestable info for people who don't eat and breathe telephony.

pinkee
--
www.cavegirl.org
www.mydarlingchild.com