pinkee on Thu, 21 Mar 2002 18:40:12 +0100

Re: [PLUG] "evils of PPPOE"

On Wed, Mar 20, 2002 at 04:30:18PM -0500, Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> At 03:28 PM 3/20/2002 -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> >Ummm... PPPoE also enforces sign-on-before-service, which is
> >actually quite handy. (Ask an College or University's network
> >administrator who's probably still trying to figure out a good way
> >to keep people from walking onto his campus and being able to do
> >evil things to the outside world without it ever getting traced back
> >to him.)
>
>         Interesting point...

I agree. In this case I think pppoe is a useful tool. but, forcing
login's in some other manner must be possible without the limitations of
pppoe.

> >PPPoE may not be a good idea, but it's not true that the "only
> >reason" for its existence is to bill you by the minute.
>
>         I clarify that statement as "the reason PPPOE was invented" then...

You forgot that by tracking connection by the minute they can institute
a drop at n idle minutes feature, thereby making "always on" something
the user has to actively seek. Roaring penguin does, somehow, prevent
idle time drops, but I do not know in what way or how.

pinkee (really, I am not affiliated with roaring penguin. I just despise
verizon's (mis) management of all-in-one services.)
--
www.cavegirl.org
www.mydarlingchild.com