Bill Jonas on Fri, 22 Mar 2002 07:42:52 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Linux Bootable CD

On Fri, Mar 22, 2002 at 01:00:54AM -0500, Doug Crompton wrote:
> For those interested the following reference works. I did it tonight.
>
> http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/cd-roms.html

Oh, I forgot to mention... Tangentially related, but interesting
nonetheless.

CDfs: http://www.elis.rug.ac.be/~ronsse/cdfs/

This neat piece of work will allow you (if you mount the CD as "-t
cdfs") to look at the various tracks on a CD or CD-ROM.  If it's an
audio CD, you'll get a bunch of track-*.wav files.  If it's a CD-ROM,
you'll get one (or more, if it's multi-session) ISO 9660 filesystem
image.  If it's a bootable CD-ROM, you'll get the ISO 9660 image and the
bootable floppy image.

Suppose you're missing the little audio cable from the CD-ROM to the
sound card and want to play an audio CD.  (Or your components don't
handle that particular D/A conversion well.)  Mount your audio CD as
type CDfs and run a standard wav player on the resulting files.

Or... I usually copy a CD-ROM with the dd command.  I've noticed,
though, that it doesn't work too well on a CD-R that I've burned.  I
imagine (I haven't tried this yet) that I could mount it as type CDfs
and just copy the filesystem image.

Anyway, it's a pretty neat little module.  I think Mental pointed it out
to me first.

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html