Doug Crompton on Sat, 23 Mar 2002 08:10:13 +0100

[PLUG] ISDN

I stopped at a local ISP today, trying to get some options on high(er)
speed connections being that xDSL is not available to me. ISDN came up. It
looks like I could get a 2B 128/128  24/7 ISDN static IP for about
$120/month - that is in line with what it looks like I would pay for an
IDSL 144/144 if it were available.

Also mentioned were 56K frame relay and fractional T1 - 128K both of which
are more expensive.

Does anyone have experience with ISDN? Are the data rates constant? Do
they negotiate lower for poorer lines? What would the interface for a 2B
be from modem to computer? Does linux play weel with it?

ISDN is now flat rate in Verizon so no minute charges apply.

I did some trolling on the internet and I see that a company in Washington
state has 2B 128/128 for $44/month with many Philly exchanges covered. I
would have to think some additional charges apply - like the charges for
your two additonal phone lines. Does verizon charge the same as voice
lines for those?

http://www.eskimo.com/services/isdn.html

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *