Kevin Brosius on Mon, 25 Mar 2002 09:10:01 -0500

Re: [PLUG] ISDN

Doug Crompton wrote:

> I stopped at a local ISP today, trying to get some options on high(er)
> speed connections being that xDSL is not available to me. ISDN came up. It
> looks like I could get a 2B 128/128  24/7 ISDN static IP for about
> $120/month - that is in line with what it looks like I would pay for an
> IDSL 144/144 if it were available.
>
> Also mentioned were 56K frame relay and fractional T1 - 128K both of which
> are more expensive.
>
> Does anyone have experience with ISDN? Are the data rates constant? Do
> they negotiate lower for poorer lines? What would the interface for a 2B
> be from modem to computer? Does linux play weel with it?
>
> ISDN is now flat rate in Verizon so no minute charges apply.
>
> I did some trolling on the internet and I see that a company in Washington
> state has 2B 128/128 for $44/month with many Philly exchanges covered. I
> would have to think some additional charges apply - like the charges for
> your two additonal phone lines. Does verizon charge the same as voice
> lines for those?
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/services/isdn.html

I was considering ISDN access about a year ago, before trying out
ricochet.  My only major problem was not getting any response or contact
from Verizon about rates/line install.  Their contact number answered
with voice mail, and I didn't get a callback.  At the time, comments I
read said they had moved all their ISDN staff to DSL sales.

The $44/mo rate for ISDN seems very attractive, but I bet that doesn't
include either the line rate or the ISP charge.  (I could be wrong here,
but I'd bet you'll pay Verizon something like $20/mo for the ISDN line
on top of that.  That should be all though, I'd hope that the ISP charge
is included in the $44.)  It's good news that Verizon is charging a flat
rate as Bill said, because the rate/min used to be rather high.
Reminded me of the old $12-24/hr rates that compuserve used to charge
for 2400bps access.

On the plus side, you mention two phone lines:  The Verizon charge of
$20/mo, if I'm close, will get you a ISDN phone line.  It's kind of like
a DSL line, because it needs to be terminated in the CO at an ISDN
access point (whatever they call those.)  That line will usually support
1D & 2B channels of information.  For $100-300 you'll get an ISDN modem
that gives you a data connection (ethernet/serial/or internal PCI card)
and normal POTS phone connection.  The modem allows both voice and data
connections, and the 2 B channels are used either for voice or data, or
combined for data only use.  Each is guaranteed to provide 64k
throughput.  So, combining the B channels, you can do 128k over the
single ISDN line.

Here a link to a small primer:
http://www.isdnzone.com/5minguide.htm

I'm interested in what you find out.  I'm in the Lansdale area, and was
unable to get anything out of Verizon about a year ago.  The ISP I use
for dialup, Netcarrier (http://www.netcarrier.com/) had unreasonable
rates for ISDN, as far as I was concerned.  So I never pushed them to
see if they could get Verizon to setup a line.  Also, at the time I
think they had rates something like you quoted, but the Verizon line
charge was additional and per minutes rates where high.

Oh, and they have to have the ISDN equipment installed in your area...
Although I remember reading that in some cases they would extend it for
individual customers.  I don't think that happened in this area though.

--
Kevin Brosius