Bill Jonas on Sat, 23 Mar 2002 17:00:11 +0100

Re: [PLUG] ISDN

On Sat, Mar 23, 2002 at 02:02:56AM -0500, Doug Crompton wrote:
> that is in line with what it looks like I would pay for an IDSL
> 144/144 if it were available.

Not too surprising.  IDSL is based on ISDN technology.  (I think that's
what the "I" in "IDSL" refers to, actually.)

> Does linux play weel with it?

I've heard it does.  There are ISDN options in the kernel configuration;
you might want to check them out.  I think there's a HOWTO on
linuxdoc.org as well.

Most likely, it's like most hardware purchases; you see what's
supported, and then do your shopping with that list.

I've *heard* that SuSE has among the best out-of-box support for ISDN.
Not too sure myself and that statement's based on things I heard over
two years ago.

> ISDN is now flat rate in Verizon so no minute charges apply.

That's good, at least.  Heck, the first billing cycle after I moved to
the area and hooked up a simple POTS connection, I was in for quite a
shock. :-/  (You see, where I grew up, a phone call was either local or
it was not.  This leads one to believe that if you are able to complete
a call without dialing "1" first, it's for no additional charge...)

Developer/SysAdmin for hire!   See http://www.billjonas.com/resume.html