Fred K Ollinger on Sun, 24 Mar 2002 12:33:55 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Linux Bootable CD

> But if you deleted or recopied a file on a CDR - the old file would

I would be interested on how one coule possibly: "deleted or recopied a
file on a CDR". As far as I know, only by using a knife can one delete
things on cdrs. Maybe I misunderstand again.

> still be there and the new one would be written further out. So
> technically there would be blank or junk space which would be copied with
> the dd but of no value. If the file were large - say 100Megs, then the
> image would contain 100 megs of junk.  Just a point. I do understand now.

If there was blank space on a cdr before the point that it's fixated, I'm
positive that it would get dded. I just am unsure how (or why) to achieve
this.

If you haven't used dd on a cd, you should try it on a small one, maybe
burn a few cdrw's. It's fun! :)

Fred