gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 2 Apr 2002 12:43:40 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Hard Disk Partitions

On Tue, Apr 02, 2002 at 11:03:20AM -0500, epike@isinet.com wrote:
> server - from my personal experience, I more or less
> separate them for their functions: /tmp gets a partition,
> /boot for boot, /www for web serving, /home gets one, /var
> for logs, my custom /log for logs, /pictures for my digital
> pictures, and /windump for samba "dump" (*that* one grows
> fast).  Also remember to scatter the swap partitions to
> different disks (that are not ide slaves), with preference
> to the fastest disk.   Also, I make it a point not to allocate
> *all* space if I have a large disk (20 gigs is large) for those
> rare times that I need to come up with some space.  Its hard to explain
> why this makes more sense to me, it has to do with preventing
> a storage area from "overflowing", such as my log partitions,
> and it also makes more sense to me to recreate by partitions
> (ie, adding a new disk) if I need to.  In fact most of the
> above partitions are now on software raid.

Clearly you and I live in different disk worlds. 20 GBs is puny. 60
GBs is bare minimum.

Anything that actually matters ("production") in in the SAN anyway,
though. Just the OS is local. So your scheme is similar to how I set
up Linux and Sun machines... only but the TB+ Oracle DBs are my
version of your /www, /var, and /windump, but they don't belong on
(physically) local disk anyway.

(What you say is probably true for, say, webhosting. I'm not
presenting this as contradiction, just contrast.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net