epike on Tue, 2 Apr 2002 11:03:37 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Hard Disk Partitions

my $0.02 opinions: desktop / laptop setup, 1 disk -- no partitioning
necessary (except maybe /tmp).  This also goes for small
disks (< 2 gigs nowadays) since partitioning would
only spread out the empty spaces (lots of smaller free
space instead of just 1 big space).

server - from my personal experience, I more or less
separate them for their functions: /tmp gets a partition,
/boot for boot, /www for web serving, /home gets one, /var
for logs, my custom /log for logs, /pictures for my digital
pictures, and /windump for samba "dump" (*that* one grows
fast).  Also remember to scatter the swap partitions to
different disks (that are not ide slaves), with preference
to the fastest disk.   Also, I make it a point not to allocate
*all* space if I have a large disk (20 gigs is large) for those
rare times that I need to come up with some space.  Its hard to explain
why this makes more sense to me, it has to do with preventing
a storage area from "overflowing", such as my log partitions,
and it also makes more sense to me to recreate by partitions
(ie, adding a new disk) if I need to.  In fact most of the
above partitions are now on software raid.

e pike