gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 12 Apr 2002 14:30:21 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Faster KDE Startup Script

On Fri, Apr 12, 2002 at 02:14:01PM -0400, ian reinhart geiser wrote:
> Fastmalloc?
>
> I guess the profiled the heck out of malloc and found some cases where they
> could optimise a malloc for ia32 linux.  I guess it is a step between a hack
> and genious.  I have found it helps things like KHTML and KOffice start up
> faster because they allocate large chunks of memory for there DOMs
> internally.

Um... but malloc, unlike divide, is almost definitely better right
than fast.

(Name that reference!)

I guess, if it doesn't also make the apps unstable, sure, but it
still feels worrisome. (Especially the "for IA32 part"; IA32 lacks a
good memory partitioning scheme... making use of that, rather than
implementing some software-level memory protection, is a good way
to make buffer overflows do *really* evil things.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net