christophe barbé on Sun, 14 Apr 2002 23:40:16 +0200

Re: [PLUG] key-signing Thursday?

I can not speak for everybody but my primary reason to sign all my mails
is a militant reason.

In a perfect world all mails should be encrypted to the person(s)
concerned. If you encrypt only mail with sensitive data, it become easier
to detect them and try to brute force them. I you want to be able to
exerce your privacy right you need not only a tool like gpg but you need
to use it most of the time and you need it to be widespread (this way
you reader can decrypt your message and important data are not easily
found in all encrypted communications).

So the word is not perfect, we need to advertise that we are ready to
receive encrypted mails (this is done by displaying your fingerprint and
signing your mails). This is my primary reason to sign all my mails. And
this is nicely done as an attachment so if you don't care about it, you
can ignore the signature.

Also sometimes you need to send an encrypted mail to someone you never
meet and for who you can't find a path of authentification (between your
key and his, what we call the web of trust). So in this case if you have
a lot of signed mails from this person, it helps you determine if you
can use this key.

Christophe