Leonard Rosenthol on Sun, 21 Apr 2002 13:58:38 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Converting graphics on linux

At 6:05 PM -0400 4/19/02, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
In any case, no sane program would try to hold all of a 150 MB file
in memory at a time;

ImageMagick keeps any active image(s) in "memory", relying on the OS's VM system to page as necessary. We also use mmap() on systems that support it, though I believe only for reading, not writing.

One thing that will reduce memory usage for ImageMagick is to make sure that you disabled 16bit pixels when you configured.

Leonard -- --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Leonard Rosenthol <mailto:leonardr@lazerware.com> <http://www.lazerware.com>