Noah Silva on Thu, 25 Apr 2002 08:10:45 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Wireless/ Co-op?

It depends which sparc models.  The IPC, IPX, and I think JavaStation
Prototype have NO serial buffer.  Every byte in the port triggers an
interrupt and the processor has to grab the byte.  No DMA, no UART chip,
etc.  They did it the super-cheap way, knowing that the serial ports
were mainly used for:
a.) Console
b.) Modem (and at the time modems weren't 56k yet).

I had the same problems with Solaris btw.

The 68k Macs I have had (Centris 610, powerbook 550C) didn't have
problems with the serial ports. The newer sparc machines don't either.

 -- noah silva