Noah Silva on Wed, 24 Apr 2002 23:31:17 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Wireless/ Co-op?

Wait... I am confused.

How does and AUI to 10BaseT tranciever help me hook up the ricochet
modem to the sparcs???  (I have several of them actually, because as you
apparently know, many of the older sparcs also have AUI - and some of my
older Macs have AAUI as well).

But... the [newer, "high speed"] ricochet modems come in the following
configurations:

a.) Ricochet GS and Ricochet GT.  These are external jobs that have
built-in Li-Ion batteries.  They can plug into power to run and/or
charge the battery.  They have a connector on the bottom that accepts a
cable.  Two such cables come with them, one is an rs232 cable with a db9
connector on the other end, and one is a USB cable (the more rectangular
type).  An rs422 cable with a mini-din (for mac and sparc) is also
available.  (the main diff. between the GS and GT is that the GS has a
plastic case and the GT has a titanium case).

b.) PCMCIA Cards.  There are two varieties of this, and I only have the
one called "merlin", as the other one apparently doesn't support the
modem emulation mode.

so, to explain more clearly, the (GS and GT) modem has to hook up either
to USB or to serial.  Since the sparcs in question (mainly accellerated
IPX machines) don't have USB, they have to connect via serial.  I found
out the hard way that while the machines are very reliable, the serial
ports on them really suck for anything above 33.6.

I /could/ get PCMCIA SBUS cards and then get more PCMCIA Ricochet
modems, but the non-pcmcia ones are easier to come by, and have better
hardware otherwise (bigger buffers, etc.). (and I want to save the
pcmcia ones for laptops at the moment).

  -- noah silva