gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 25 Apr 2002 02:14:49 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PLUG Wireless/ Co-op?

On Wed, Apr 24, 2002 at 11:32:25PM -0400, Noah Silva wrote:
> so, to explain more clearly, the (GS and GT) modem has to hook up either
> to USB or to serial.  Since the sparcs in question (mainly accellerated
> IPX machines) don't have USB, they have to connect via serial.  I found
> out the hard way that while the machines are very reliable, the serial
> ports on them really suck for anything above 33.6.

Um... you sure that's not just the Linux driver? The sparcs have the
same serial hardware as the mac68k machines, unless I'm
hallucinating that memory. It's got some weird quirks, but it's
pretty reliable under NetBSD. Or are you running SunOS on those
machines?

(Incidentally, the same serial chipset is very *un*reliable under
NetBSD/macppc, some times causing a kernel panic when you kill the
terminal software at the other end while using the serial port for a
console. This doesn't happen on NetBSD/mac68k, so something's broke
about the macppc driver. There are some differences between the
machine dependent code--which should be moved to machine independent
code anyhow--between sparc, mac68k, and macppc, though.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net