Philip Ravenscroft on Mon, 29 Apr 2002 19:50:21 +0200

firewalling high-numbered ports (WAS: [PLUG] Problems with Apache and FTP)

> Yeah.. with my linux-based firewall (LEAF dachstein-cd), I needed to
> open up the high ports (above 1023) in addition to 21 and 20 for ftp to
> work.  be sure you specifically close ports you dont want the outside
> world being able to access, though - 3306 MySQL, 6000 X, 2049 NFS, 7100
> xfs

If you want to have a default deny rule on all ports, you can also open up non-syn packets (tcp/ip SYN packets open the network connections) on high-numbered ports.  For each outgoind service, I have an IPChains rule witth the ! -y flag (-y = SYN ; ! -y = NOT SYN).  This allows in packets that do not make an initial connection through.  e.g. for http:  ipchains -A input -p tcp -s 0/0 80 ! -y -j ACCEPT

This lets in all non-SYN packets that originate on port 80 (e.g. return requests when I browse a Web site).

Of course, your firewall rules should be customized to the level of security that you need..

Philip