Fred K Ollinger on Mon, 29 Apr 2002 23:10:15 +0200

[PLUG] Re: Newbie's first question[s] - quick reply

> > LOL. I'm just testing things to localize your troubles. ...
>
> I understood that OK.
>
> > ... I'm not suggesting that you memorize all ips. :)
>
> That wasn't my impression - I assumed that, if all else failed,
> that Linux/Netscape could be trained (with Bookmarks entries)

I thought you were kidding. I was. Just trying to keep things light as we
work this out.

> > I find it tough to believe you can contact a remote ftp site,
> > but you can't contact your nearest nameserver.
>
> My missus and I tried a 'sperrymen.  We dialed up her Earthlink
> connection with the Linux PC and ftp'd with that to the
> amenex.com server, which worked just fine.

OK, you _are_ on the internet. Good.

> Mebbe I don't understand the terminology.  I cannot connect to any
> of the three numbered servers that are returned by NSLookup when
> I enter "voicenet.com" in NSLookup or when I enter
>
> 	http://www.voicenet.com/	in Netscape.
>
> But I can ping them OK.  I can ping and ftp to the numbered server

OK, what do you mean by "connect to" above?

Not being wise, but I consider 'ping' to be as good as a connect.

Did you try to comment out 192.168.2.1 in /etc/resolv.conf?

This might fix this problem.

> Terminology again - I could send data from the Linux PC to my
> missus' Mac (talk about pressure - I'm resisting getting a Mac
> 'cuz it's single-sourced, not compatible with 99% of my clients'
> PC's, no less flaky than a MS-PC, and troublesome w/r to HTML
> coding and uploads) through the telephone line by way of Earthlink
> and Voicenet, so at least the ftp protocol works.  Isn't that
> part of the Internet ?

I'm not sure. Could you connect to ip or ftp.gnu.org?

I'm still not sure what's going on here. I'm trying.

> That was not my impression at all.  My impression of you is 100%
> favorable; you are being patient, thoughtful and helpful, which
> is wonderful. Thanks.

> Yup.  When I place a disk into the CD-R/W drive, the drive starts
> up, spins the disk at various speeds, and then either gives up or
> the light dawns.  When I reboot with a bootable disk in the drive,
> it starts in with the tasks that the disk wants it to do.  But it
> will no longer allow me to mount a disk after a fresh bootup in
> which I could see the BIOS detect the CDWriter just fine.

> Nothing - just a blank.  To the right of that is a "foot" icon.
> I forget what the foot signifies; when I click on it, I get
> the familiar rat's maze (oops - nested lists) of program names.

You run gnome.

> > One could do the same in win, though, w/ vb.
>
> I'd be happy just copying my "Reports" directory to a CD-R disk
> after I finish each stage of the current report.  As it is, this
> task is a source of great stress:  Will it work ?  Will it coaster
> the disk's present information ?  Will it be readable next week ?
> By any PC or just by this one ?

This is uncompress also. I compress it on the fly.
I've never had any trouble. I don't like the open cds b/c I don't trust
them. I like to burn all data at once.

> Exactly. The BIOS occasionally finds it, but Linux has forgotten
> how to incorporate the CD-R/W drive into its coterie of H/W.

I still think it's a hw error and will never work right.

> Again, the CDWriter spins the disk, but soon gives up.  Unless
> I've inserted the distribution disk before rebooting, in which
> case it's off and running, ready to trash all of the vendor's
> hard [?] work.  I am not yet ready to attempt to re-do that.

You could use a bootable cd which doesn't automagically install things. I
use a rh as a rescue disk. It won't hose anything unless you say so.

> Izzat the PC's fault ?  As in Intel ? or Book PC (the box's mfg.) ?

This is the mobo's fault.

> Who's a good CD burner software vendor ?  I have given up on Roxio
> and Nero.  And also on Philips and HP as CD-R/W makers.  I have to
> get a burner working this week or I'm in big trouble.

I use linux's cdrecord only. I don't know about gui tools. Many other list
tools use gui only and can help w/ this one. I post back to the list.

> I'll try to read fstab this AM.

It will help if you post it. The more stuff you cut n' paste, the better.

> BoyOhBoy again.  Do I ever hate those pop-up screens.  Stop
> me dead in the water. And undocumented hot keys that execute
> my files and work product without any warning ... can I turn
> them off in Linux ?  Or at least get them to prompt or warn

Yes. Each desktop has different features. Many are very minimal and
customizable. Programs also use hot keys so this is program depent.

> You mean I can create a boot disk from DOS 6.22 and then pop
> it into the Book PC ?  What a thrill, using a MS product that
> works.  Or is that DOS disk that's supposed to install the
> CDWriter in DOS/Windows also a boot disk ?

Often basic diagnostics programs are for dos only: my mobo program runs on
a dos disk so I just boot that.

> > I suggest that you demand a refund or at least a replacement.
>
> We're converging on a remedy, if not a solution.  If only the
> vendor would return my call or reply to my E-mails. I have a
> sinking feeling that the vendor is no better at loading Linux
> and installing a CD-R/W drive than I will be after this is all
> done.  Either he did not do his job or the machine went through

I can't think of a single linux user (by choice :) ) who would prefer
preinstalled linux (except to avoid MS taxes, but then they would still
reinstall to get things right).

If you can ping nameserver and things don't work then you need to change
/etc/resolv.conf.

I can give you a temporaty nameserver to put in there until you get things
worked out (mine might be too slow for real time usuage).

If you can't ping certain things on real internet but you can ping others
then I'm totally lost and we need to consult w/ those smarter than
me--there are many on the list.

The hw trouble, I give up. If you can't get it taken back then keep
booting it until it shows up in first bios screen then I'll bet money that
linux will find it (default rh install). Then leave computer on. If I'm
right about this then this is hw problem, only, and you can't blame linux
for this. You can blame linux for the other pains. :) Esp nautilus.

Try 'konqueror' as a browser. A bit slow w/ my old box, but I do like it.
(Rarely use it, though. :) ).

Good luck.

Fred