Gregson Helledy on Wed, 1 May 2002 13:11:29 -0400

[PLUG] Mounting samba shares on boot

I'd like to have my linux machine mount (with samba) two shared network
resources on boot.
One is a samba share on the dialup gateway machine.  The other is a shared
Win98 drive.
They are in fstab and a "mount -a" from root mounts them perfectly.
I'd like to have them autmatically mounted at boot, but am unable to do so:

*adding the "auto" option in fstab fails for two reasons:
	-I got an error, "invalid option -- v".  Searching the newsgroups, I found
that
mount, or at least the version used in SuSE, adds a "-v" (for verbose)
to all the mounts it does.  Problem is that smb mounts are passed to
smbmount (and smbmnt), which don't recognize the -v switch.
	-Even ignoring SuSE's custom version of mount, samba services are not yet
running at this stage
*I was then advised to create an /etc/rc.d/boot.local file.  This also
fails, with:
========================
Running /etc/init.d/boot.local
error connecting to 192.168.1.10:139 (Network is unreachable)
95: Connection to firewall failed
SMB connection failed
error connecting to 192.168.1.3:139 (Network is unreachable)
96: Connection to lucky failed
SMB connection failed
failed
========================
Reading further, I've learned that samba services are initialized with a
script which is called upon entering certain runlevels (2,3 and 5).
Therefore I'll have to add my mount commands to something which runs after
this point.  Any suggestions on which script to choose?  Or, would it be
safe to include them in the samba initialization script itself?

I can't be the only person mounting samba shares on boot, can I?

Greg

Privileged/Confidential information may be contained in this message.
this message to anyone.  In such case, you should destroy this message
and notify GRA, Inc. (gramail@gra-inc.com) immediately.  Please advise
immediately if you or your employer do not consent to Internet e-mail
for messages of this kind.  Opinions, conclusions and other information
expressed in this message are not given or endorsed by GRA, Inc. unless
otherwise indicated by an authorized representative independent of this
message.