Kam Salisbury on Wed, 1 May 2002 13:39:19 -0400

[PLUG] Re: PLUG digest, Vol 1 #1508 - 21 msgs

Hi Wayne, maybe I can help... here are some things to check/try to "fix"
Network Neighborhood.

- Check WINS support under Samba. ?IF? you intend on running Samba all the
time and you have a bit of extra RAM then running nmbd (the WINS server for
Samba) and specifying the IP address of the WINS server in the IP
configuration of all the Win32 boxes will make Network Neighborhood work
just fine. Be sure to read up on some of the configuration parameters for
smb.conf as they can have an impact on how the Microsoft Browser Election
process happens. Basically, using Samba?s nmbd daemon and configuring
smb.conf to show your Samba daemon as server type 13 or 14 will help Samba
win the browser election in short order. You could just wait 15+ minutes
for all the Win32 boxes and Samba?s nmbd daemon to fight out the election
as well if you just enable it in the first place.

	References; http://www.linux-mag.com/2001-05/smb_01.html

	ftp://ftp.stratus.com/pub/vos/customers/samba/SAMBA_Troubleshootin
g.rtf

	http://us6.samba.org/samba/docs/man/nmbd.8.html

And/or

- Use an LMHOSTS file on the Win32 boxes. Just as a HOSTS file provides IP
to host name resolution for IP hosts, LMHOSTS provides IP to NetBIOS
computer name mapping for Win32 hosts like Win9x & Win2K/XP using NetBIOS
over TCP/IP. This may not actually fix Network Neighborhood but will allow
you to map a network drive to the Linux box by name instead of straight IP
address or searching for it every time.

	Reference; http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-
US;q101927

Definitely

- Use a HOSTS file on the Win32 boxes and update the HOSTS file on the
Linux box. Alternately you could run your own DNS server on your local
network with host records for each PC and the Linux box. In any case,
leaving the default HOSTS file reading only name resolution for localhost s
leaving you missing some name resolution if you do not have a DNS server
with records for the hosts on your network.

-  Uninstall NetBEUI. It is not a routable protocol and will not
interoperate with TCP/IP. It is true that installing NetBEUI will allow all
the Win32 boxes to ?see? each other in Network Neighborhood but that is a
function of the Microsoft Browser Election process happening, not TCP/IP +
Samba + Win32 NetBIOS interacting. In fact, running NetBEUI in this case
will most likely confuse you and agravate fixing the problem because the
network will seem to be working (and it is, for NetBEUI anyway) but it will
not work with Linux unless you fix the IP NetBIOS name resolution.

Honestly, I did not intend on typing as much as I did. Sorry. If you can
think of how I can help further please do not hesitate.

Kam Salisbury
--MCSE, CNA, Linux+, Network Alchemist  http://www.salsolutions.net