Art Clemons on Sat, 4 May 2002 14:46:10 -0400

Re: [PLUG] DSL saga webpage

Bill Jonas:

1.) There are extra steps involved. At a minimum, I have to tell
Mozilla that it's okay to open the file with /usr/bin/xpdf. At a
maximum, it might mean saving it to a file, starting X, launching
applications, opening the file, etc (since I'm not aware of any console
PDF viewers).

There's always downloading and installing Plugger to avoid having to tell Mozilla/Netscape or Opera to open the pdf with xpdf. Many of the other solutions like Kghostview or even GSview could be selected to open pdf's instead.

I tend to agree with Doug on this though, even text can be misconstrued in some circumstances. PDFs offer a common easy to reproduce view that most Linux users already have at least one way to view, or can easily find and compile or download one.