Greg Lopp on Sun, 12 May 2002 16:02:41 -0400

Re: [PLUG] newbie question

On Sun, May 12, 2002 at 02:58:41PM -0400, Louis Dallara wrote:
> I'm trying to get my laptop dell ins7000 connected to my windows network.
> running mandrake 8.1
>
> i get booup error -insmod'ing module tulip failed at
> /usr/libDrakX/modules.pm line 532

The tulip module relates to the type of network card you are
using.  The boot process should "insmod tulip" at the point that
it is trying to initialize all configured network devices.

libDrakX, I'm not sure about.  It appears to be part of the
"drakxtools-newt" package, which is a graphical tool provided by
mandrake that is supposed to make configuring your system
easier.

> Any help would be appricated..

I'd assume that you used the drakxtools to configure your system,
either during the install or later using something like
"setuptool" or "draknet", and it installed a script that is
supposed to be run whenever you activate that network device.  It
looks to me like that script is failing - but I'm just guessing,
I've never played around with mandrake's startup.

> I installed samba..

1) Are all of the dependacies of the "drakxtools" package
   satisfied?  Type "rpm -q --requires drakxtools" to see these
   dependancies.  For each package listed, type "rpm -q package_name"
2) Can you get the network interface to work anyway?  As root,
   type "ifconfig".  This will list the currently configured(in
   use) network interfaces.  Assuming that you only have one
   network card in your laptop, you hope to see "eth0" listed.
   If so, you should be able to ping other machines, surf the
   web, get email and pretty much not worry about this error.  If
   you don't see it listed, try "ifup eth0".  This will try to
   configure that device, hopefully you wont get that same error.

Does anyone with more mandrake experience have better ideas?