pinkee on Mon, 20 May 2002 04:00:11 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Fw: Revolution OS

On Sun, May 19, 2002 at 08:21:01AM -0400, Beldon Dominello wrote:
> On Sunday 19 May 2002 04:43, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> > On Sat, May 18, 2002 at 11:58:07PM -0400, Paul wrote:
> > > (Just and opinion.  Feel free to attempt to change my mind.)  Why
> > > bother boycotting Amazon?  I would never use the one-click option
> > > anyway!  They can have the idea and the code behind it.  As long as I
> > > get good prices on books that are shipped quickly, I don't care.
> >
> > Um. Well, I disagree, but not enough to try to change your mind, I
> > guess.
>
> An appeals court lifted the injunction against B&N, which doesn't bode well
> for the survival of this specious patent.
>
> It brings up some interesting points, though.  If Amazon loses (which is
> certainly possible now), would you stop boycotting them?  I mean, okay, they
> no longer have the patent, but they tried.  How long should punishment be
> meted out?
>
> Also, I believe boycotting a company does nothing.  Since companies listen to
> their customers more than people who wouldn't buy from them anyway, it makes
> no sense.

I respectfully disagree. I think boycotts are extremely effective in a
number of situations. One part of an effective boycott, however is
letter writing. You are right in the sense that a company will refuse to
change habits or policies if they are unaware that a portion of their
market base isn't buying because of the objectionable behavior.

I have been a part of highly succesful boycotts, I have also been the
individual who wrote a letter of objection, and recieved positive
feedback, that resulted in change.

If you "boycott" a company you wouldn't buy from to begin with, I
question the use of the term boycott. It becomes something entirely
different at that point.

pinkee
--
www.cavegirl.org