gabriel rosenkoetter on Tue, 21 May 2002 00:43:32 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Perennial Newbie trying again

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 12:23:34AM -0400, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> If I knew this a few years ago, I would have done it. Instead a joined w/
> the darkside: i386. :)

Well, you're not missing much. My old LC III (68030) was virtually
unbearable with FPU emulation when trying to do anything useful
(or, if you Really wanted some pain, two things at Once).  It would
have worked quite well as a router or firewall... provided you
could put more than one network device in it. Which you couldn't.

You could route PPP from the serial port through and ether card in
the PDS slot, I guess, which would probably make the clock skew on
the mac68k, bad enough since any disk access is a more important
and uninterruptible interrupt on that architecture, even worse.

(Yes, Apple cheats--something having to do with lab tests on how
long the factory-included disks took to access a given number of
blocks on average, the rumor goes--to keep the clock at remotely
the right time too, and they lose anyway if you keep the machine
up for more than a few days. But nobody did that with Mac^H^H^HSystem
7, since its VM system would run out of memory first anyhow.)

Those are cute old machines, but it's kind of hard to get much out
of anything short of a real 040. (The Quadra and Centris series have
some quality. The Performas and their predecessors the LCs... not
so much.) I think it's possible to solder an FPU in on the 030 and
LC040 motherboards (though most of the LC040s are socketed and a
real 040 costs maybe $20 on eBay these days, not that I've checked
latedly, so it's really easier just to replace it). Unfortunately,
they neither make good fish tanks nor capuccino machines.

> I gave the machine to my away to a friend who junked it. :(

Heh. What was it?

> Yer never wrong, Gabriel. :)

Rubbish. I'm frequently wrong and insufficiently called on it.

> I thin you are right. I just admin rh dell machines which is where I got
> the idea. I think they dropped the linux from the desktop, though.

Mostly because it wasn't selling in that market, as I recall. (This
isn't meant as a slight against Linux, RedHat, Dell, or anybody else;
ridiculously more home users just buy Windows because they don't so
much know there Are options... and the majority of those that do
think "options" means Mac.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net