Paul on Wed, 22 May 2002 04:15:00 -0400

Re: [PLUG] FROM ORIGINAL PERENNIAL NEWIE

>    After BAD experiences with :put together systems (and
> good luck with 3 Dell laptops - 2 stolen) I prefer to
> get a system from a major manufacturer.

Who put your systems together?  I bought a laptop from Dell because
laptops only come pre-built.  I would always build my on PC.  If you
really want to buy a pre-built PC without paying for Windows, go to
Walmart, have one built by a person who knows Linux, or have a Linux
expert tell you what components to buy.

I chose the Dell laptop after researching the experience that other
people are having with the same model.  Basically, any components that
are very new or very old don't have good driver support.  The good
part is that lagging behind the state-of-the-art also lowers the cost
of construction or purchase.

Anyway, I can't recommend a major manufacturer because I would never
buy a pre-built PC.