gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 29 May 2002 00:20:30 -0400

Re: [PLUG] RE: Unneeded programs running on startup

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 10:52:56PM -0400, Paul wrote:
> On my system, root receives e-mail about file and directory changes
> even though I have Sendmail disabled.  How does that happen?

Local mail delivery requires no MTA, only an MUA, and sendmail is a
perfectly functioning MUA.

(The fact that it's not running as a daemon just means its not
listening for connections on any kind of network connection. Sending
mail just execs sendmail, which delivers mail into /var/mail.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net