gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 3 Jun 2002 11:33:11 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Linux on a Apple Powerbook 150?

On Mon, Jun 03, 2002 at 11:14:39AM -0400, kaze wrote:
> Hmmm, you can't connect a monitor, it doesn't have a NIC.

Sure, but it's got a serial port, which is how anyone using
NetBSD/mac68k on a PB 150 is doing it, when they actually need a
console. (I do think there are a couple of people using this machine
for something, though I don't quite recall what they got out of it.
Like I said, it's not much good as a laptop, and it seems like you
could get a system more apropos as a router or server for about
$20.)

> There is a 28.8 internal modem, can this be cabled as a null modem to
> another machine so as to telnet it?

Nope. There should also be an external printer/modem port. Just get
a DIN-9 to DB-9 serial cable, hook that up to another machine, and
use your favorite terminal emulation software.

(If you're installing NetBSD, you'll still need a small MacOS
partition on the disk to boot; NetBSD boots as a child of MacOS, but
then replaces it in memory. This is the only practical way to get
device handles on the 68k machines, which lack both documentation
and OpenFirmware.)

> How could you even install without any video?

You install under MacOS, and probably have to edit /etc/ttys there
as well (by way of making a copy on the MacOS partition, changing
the settings for at least /dev/tty00 so that it works as a console,
and then copying that across over the installed /etc/ttys). When you
boot, the system comes up with MacOS on the screen, you've got the
NetBSD booter in the Startup Items folder, it launches the NetBSD
kernel, thereafter the screen's blank, but when wscons (NetBSD's
virtual console kernel/daemon stuff) pops up, it should see the
serial connection. This'd defintely take a bit of tinkering.

> The modem could answer, right, so one could telnet it. (I have this
> weird adaptor which goes between the HDI-30 connector and an Iomega Zip; it
> has a switch on it which allows the whole laptop to exist basically as an
> external (250MB) hard drive on the SCSI bus of another machine.)

Whatever you were running would have to be able to use the modem
device; I've got far more confidence in NetBSD being able to talk to
the serial hardware than I do that it can talk to the modem
hardware.

> Except for continuing to run Mac OS, basically useless?

That's also an option. A machine like this would function well
enough as a living room machine, just to type things in fast, ssh
from there to a machine playing mp3s through a stereo and play with
mpg123, so forth.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net