Paul on Mon, 3 Jun 2002 19:55:45 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Raid Basics (was: Linux Raid)

> To loosely quote: 'why even bother with the special controller?  (That's
> what I need to know before bothering with a RAID'ed mo'bo'.)' - Don't
> bother, unless you are using Windows and a Linux. I believe FreeBSD also
> supports the Fasttrak. If I were only running Windows *or* Linux, I would
> never have bought this TX4, I would have just bought the (slightly better
> supported) Ultra100 plain IDE controller, and done OS-based software RAID.
> In either OS (2K logical volumes or Linux MD) it would have been *FASTER*.

Faster to implement or faster performance?

For some reason the concept of OS-based RAID is not appealing to me.

Since I'm building a new PC for the wife and everyone else who tries
to take over her PC (as I am doing now because my other monitor is in
use) it will be running Win98SE.  I was thinking that RAID0 would be
nice for the added speed and drive space (20G x 2).