kaze on Sat, 8 Jun 2002 10:13:18 -0400

RE: [PLUG] Raid Basics (was: Linux Raid)

I know this thread is stale, but -

Would separating some combination of swap/OS or OS/apps or apps/data result
in a better performance boost than software RAID? Does any software RAID
give you a speed increase (as hardware RAID would) or is it only for fault
tolerance?

==> Faster to implement or faster performance?
==>
==> For some reason the concept of OS-based RAID is not appealing to me.
==>
==> Since I'm building a new PC for the wife and everyone else who tries
==> to take over her PC (as I am doing now because my other monitor is in
==> use) it will be running Win98SE.  I was thinking that RAID0 would be
==> nice for the added speed and drive space (20G x 2).