Paul on Tue, 4 Jun 2002 00:25:57 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Newbie Buying Preconfigured System- Seeks comments

>       So I am about to put about $1500 on a basic system from
>    Minotaur -  (proabably will order on 1 -2 days as I will need
>    some advice from them - they offer choices about items that I
>     have NO idea about)

$1500 for a BASIC system?!  For $1500 you could get a kick-butt PC,
especially if you build it yourself.  I bet you could get this list to
give you a shopping list of components.  What do you need?

Just get a case to start with.  Things to go in the case:

Motherboard
Memory
Video card (optional with built-in video)
Hard Drive(s)
Optical Drive(s)
Etc.

I like Diamond Flower motherboards. They're known for stability and
reasonable prices. http://www.dfi.com

Crucial is a good place to shop for memory. They offer a lot of
information. Shipping is impressive; I ordered some RAM around 11pm on
Friday and it arrived on Monday around 12:30pm.
http://www.crucial.com

The video card is a more difficult choice. ATI and nVidia seem to be
popular.  I have a pair of ATI cards in two PC's and a nVidia in a
laptop.  The mobile nVidia GeForce2 card is a pain, but the PC version
is fine, although the driver is binary only.

As mentioned in another thread, I would get a pair of hard drives and
RAID them together.  I currently have an EIDE, 7200rpm, 2M cache,
ATA100 Maxtor drive.  I'm thinking about a Seagate as a companion.

In any case, none of this is difficult as long as you have the money
to pay for it. Your money, more than likely, will go further and the
quality higher if you build it yourself or have someone build it for
you.