Jeff Weisberg on Tue, 4 Jun 2002 16:14:11 -0400

Re: [PLUG] off topic, need DSL modem

| Right, the DSL "modem" (router or bridge, really) speaks DSL to the head
| end, where the equipment aggregating the traffic speaks ATM to the other
| end.  Or something like that.  Please correct me if I'm wrong. :)

basically.

you DSL "modem" speaks (some flavor of) DSL to the DSLAM[1] (a "head end"
is what your cable "modem" speaks to). The DSLAM aggregates the DSL traffic
and attaches to the DSL provider's ATM network. an ATM PVC (an end-to-end
virtual pipe) is built from the DSL "modem" to the ISP's router.

the ATM layer makes it easy to provide additional services other than IP,
such as voice or video[2].

	--jeff

[1] Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer. pronounced Dee-Slam.
[2] in theory.