Bill Jonas on Wed, 5 Jun 2002 13:09:35 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Build your own Linuc PC help needed!

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 12:10:42AM -0400, Mike Leone wrote:
> Well ... any of'em. :-)

Here's one person's opinion: http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/#whichmodem

I'll second the recommendation for an external modem.  FWIW, I have the
5634TS listed at <http://www.archtek.com/allmodems.htm> and it's worked
just fine for me.  I forget which chipset it has, but it's on the
recommended list above.  (I think it's a TI chipset, IIRC.)

Something else to consider is V.92, although it probably wouldn't be
that useful (since your ISP has to support it as well).  But V.90 prices
should be somewhat lower than before the introduction of V.92.

> Really. How depressing. Well, a PCI will (or should) work as well, as long
> as it's not a WinModem.

And cross-check your PCI modems at
<http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html>, since there are precious
few non-winmodems in a PCI form factor.

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin