Kevin Brosius on Wed, 5 Jun 2002 16:32:44 -0400

Re: [PLUG] AMD or Intel P4??

Bill Jonas wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 03:28:28PM -0400, Bill Jonas wrote:
> > A little background: For the first several releases of 2.4, I couldn't
> > get one to work on my T-bird (symptoms in a moment).
>
> D'oh, correction.  I *meant* to say, "I couldn't get a self-compiled 2.4
> kernel to work on my T-bird; the Debian-packaged kernels worked fine."
> I was lazy for a few releases until I started comparing the configs and
> found a difference that, well, made a difference.

Ah, ok.  The only thing I've noticed is that there is an interaction
between the BIOS APIC enable setting on an Athlon MP motherboard and the
ability to turn off power after a 'shutdown -h now'.  With APIC enabled,
the standard 'smart power supply' button on this system will not remove
power after shutdown.  With APIC disabled, the power off/on button works
as expected.  That system has 2.4.18 (SuSE build) on it.

--
Kevin Brosius