Rebecca Ore on Thu, 6 Jun 2002 13:48:23 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Re: Verizon DSL

On Thu, 06 Jun 2002, Michael Leone wrote:

> On 6 Jun 2002 at 12:45, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
>
> > > I've had Verizon DSL for over a year now.  They never changed my IP,
> > > never dropped a connection, and the slack box that I use as a
> > > router/firewall is
> >
> > They drop me once in a while. Seldom, though. They do change my ip
> > when I restart (new kernel, etc).
> >
> > If you know a way to get old ip back, please advise.
> >
> > Or if someone can buy a static ip w/o any catch...I'm looking to
> > switch from verizon over to whoever that really cool service is that
> > charges a bit more, but encourages people to run web servers.
>
> DCA. You can keep Verizon as the line provider (I do), but have DCA
> service the line as your ISP (for $10 a month). 5 static IPs; you can
> run (some) servers yourself; etc.

DCA.net quoted all sorts of conversion fees at me, $200 here, $130 there.

And their news server sucks -- my half the Big Eight and change server was
higher ranked than theirs in transit ratings.  Verizon has a reasonable
reputation for news, actually.  One of my friends has an account with them in
New England.

I was one of the Monday Massacre people at the division of Fastnet formerly
known as Netaxs, so I don't have a lot of money to throw around.

If anyone has a Windows laptop and would like dinner and an authographed copy
of _Outlaw School_, please let me know.

--
Rebecca Ore
http://www.ogoense.net